Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Bicycloud and the equipment search

I decided that the time has arrived. I need to start deciding what I need, or what do I want to take, in the trip. I always have lots of problems deciding anything, that’s why I need this much time. These past days I started with the basics: the bike, the sleeping bag, and the tent.

The most important thing I need it’s a bike. I need a comfortable one, light and, if possible, cheap. This carries many doubts. A hybrid or a touring bicycle? Probably I will go with a hybrid, but it also goes with the kind of handle. The drop ones in the touring bikes look much nicer, and some people told me it was the best for long trips. On the other hand, I’ve been told that, the flat handles are easier to control, especially if the road it’s uneven. I asked this in twitter, and the answers I got seem to favor the flat handle bar. So, probably this is what I will choose.

The sleeping bag it’s also problematic, and really important. At the beginning of the trip I’m expecting temperatures between 0 and -5 Cº. Of course I don’t want to freeze to death, but I also want to get a nice sleep, so I can keep cycling the next day. At the beginning I was thinking to buy a really warm sleeping bag, which the comfortable temperature goes down to -10, and then change it as I go south. But I was talking to the clerk of a sports shop, and he told me that probably it’s better to get one that goes down to +5, and get a fleece layer inside. This is more expensive than a warm bag, but cheaper than two. I also like this idea, because this kind of sleeping bag can get really tiny and light (around 500g).

The tent is actually not that big of a problem, I just want something with two layers and light. I’ve already seen one that looks nice. It’s for two people, but I think I can really use a little bit of extra space, for the bags, and to be able to move a little bit. I think I will buy it in the next couple of weeks, and I will start using it around here.

So this is what I’ve been researching for the past days. Any advice or recommendation will be welcomed. You can write a comment, an email, or a tweet.



Bicycloud y la búsqueda del equipo

Ha llegado el momento  de empezar a buscar todo lo que necesito para el viaje. Normalmente tengo muchos problemas a la hora de decidir cosas, así que empiezo con tiempo para luego no estar con prisas. Por ahora he empezado a mirar las cosas más importantes: la bici, el saco y la tienda de campaña.

La bici es lo más importante que necesito. También es lo más difícil de elegir.  Necesito una que sea cómoda, ligera y, si es posible, barata. Pero, ¿qué es mejor, una hibrida o una “touring bike”? Esto lleva más dudas: ¿manillar plano o de ruta? Dependiendo a quien pregunte me dice una cosa u otra cosa. Pero parece que el manillar plano es más estable, y fácil de controlar, cuando la carretera no es muy regular. Así que seguramente utilice el plano con cuernos, en una bici híbrida. Pero todavía hay tiempo y seguramente cambie de idea varias veces.

El saco de dormir también es un problema. Al principio del viaje, seguramente, dormiré a temperaturas entre 0 y -5, así que necesito algo caliente. Mi primera idea era comprar en saco con un mínimo de confort de -10 grados, y luego cambiar a uno de primavera cuando empiece a hacer más calor. Pero el otro día fui a una tienda, y el dependiente me dijo que igual es mejor comprar uno de confort 5º, y utilizar una capa polar por dentro (el no vendía ninguna de las dos cosas, así que me parece fiable). Comprar estas dos cosas es algo más caro que un saco de dormir de invierno, pero más barato que dos. Además estos sacos de confort de 5º pueden ser muy pequeños y ligeros (unos 500g).

En cuanto a la tienda de campaña, sorprendentemente, no tengo tantas dudas. Necesito una pequeña. No creo que me nieve, y en caso de hacerlo será poco. Así que con una resistente de lluvia es suficiente. Ya le he echado el ojo a una de dos personas, de 2kilos. Supongo que me la compraré en las próximas semanas y la usaré antes de empezar el viaje.

Bueno, pues esto ha sido lo que he estado investigando estos últimos días. Si tenéis algún consejo o sugerencia, os lo agradeceré. Podéis escribirlos como comentarios, email, o en twitter

1 comment:

  1. hmm.. I don't know if you'll ever read this, as I'm commenting on a post you wrote a while ago.

    I used a touring bike with dropped handlebars, much like the one in the picture above. Granted, they might be harder to control than bikes with straight bars, but there is a lot more flexibility as to the positions you can put your hands in, which is important for a long trip. Furthermore, it allows you to keep much lower, so there is less wind friction (which will be important, as you're cycling south). As to stability, you'll quickly get used to the dropped handlebars; and I think the main factor is the width of the tyres. The roads in eastern Europe are probably worse than in the west.. so maybe you want slightly thicker than the 32mm I was using.

    ReplyDelete