Total Pageviews

Monday, June 20, 2011

20th of June – Uphill till Provence

172,36 km Nice – Ginasservis

It was really hard today. Both mentally and physically exhausting. I thought it was going to be less kilometers, and it was basically uphill. I was trying to enjoy the ride, but it was hard to focus on something different than the way.

It was easy to get out of Nice, it was just to get to the seaside and follow it. As I thought it was a day with few kilometers, I decided to take it easy and go to the tourist information office. It was quite stupid, because it was information for the whole region, and they didn´t have maps at all.

So I continued, and the first town I had to cross was a bit complicated, but I succeeded. The problem was Grasse. It was horrible. I could not find the right way and it was a city in a hill, so I got really tired. But from there it was downhill till my first stop.

It´s fun riding in the French roads. Cyclist are respected and there are lots of bike ways, usually on the side of the road. And it´s great that every cyclist says “bon jour” to each other. It reminds me of my brother, whose first words were actually those.

Lake St. Cassien was the best choice for lunch. I was expecting to be alone there, but there were 2 families. Anyway it was a great place, the water was clear and had a perfect temperature for swimming. I think it was the longest stop I´ve done so far. It was great swimming and relaxing there.

But it was time to continue, as I knew I had to climb some hills of around 800 meters. There was a nice view, but it was hard to enjoy. It was very hot, and kilometers where just growing in the signs. I ended doing almost 30 km extra more than I planned.

I crossed the natural park of Verdon, following a bike rout, most of the way. There were lots of trees and forests, so putting my tent there would not have been a problem, but I had already a host in a small village, and I wanted to get there. The towns in this region are small and always on top of a little hill. Even thought beautiful, I was a bit tired of going up and down.

I met a man in this paths also travelling by bike. He was much older than me but he did even longer trips. This year he was only going from Provence till Vienna and back through Paris, but 2 years ago he went from Paris to Peking.

I got to Ginasservis almost at 9. I was exhausted, and it seemed that I was not going to be able to get here. I enjoyed some dinner with my hosts and chat for a while, but I was falling asleep, so I decided to go to bed.

Today might have been one of the toughest days. Crossing the Tatra was hard, but I was expecting it, somehow, but today was longer and harder than I thought. At least tomorrow I will have to go down all what I climbed today.

P1030708

My hosts and me, before I left.
Mis anftriones y yo antes de salir.

P1030709

The St. Cassien Lake.
El lago S. Cassien.

P1030712

The other cyclist I met. And he has the sandals I want!
El otro cicloturista que he conocido. ¡Y tiene las sandalias que yo quiero!

P1030714

A village in the mountains.
Un pueblo en las montañas.

P1030716

The road in the late afternoon.
La carretera por la tarde.

P1030717

Ginasservis.


20 de junio – Cuesta arriba hasta Provenza.

172,36 km Niza – Ginasservis

Hoy ha sido un día muy duro. Tanto mental como físicamente agotador. Pensaba que iban a ser muchos menos kilómetros, y encima ha sido casi todo el rato cuesta arriba. Intentaba disfrutar del camino, pero era difícil centrarse en otra cosa que en lo que quedaba.

Ha sido bastante fácil salir de Niza, solo he tenido que llegar al mar y seguirlo. Como pensaba que iba a ser un día con pocos kilómetros, había decidido tomármelo con calma, y he parado en la oficina de turismo. Ha sido bastante estúpido, ya que a pesar de que daban información de toda la región, no tenían mapas.

Así que he seguido y el primer pueblo que he tenido que cruzar ha sido un poco complicado, pero lo he conseguido. Grasse, ha sido mucho peor. Ha sido horrible. No conseguía encontrar la dirección correcta, y encima estaba en una colina, por lo que me he cansado mucho. Pero desde ahí ha sido bajada hasta mi primera parada.

Es divertido ir por las carreteras francesas. Los coches respetan a los ciclistas y hay muchos carriles bici, normalmente al lado de la carretera. Y es genial que todos los ciclistas nos digamos “Bon jour”. Me recuerda a mi hermano, ya que sus primeras palabras fueron estas.

El lago S. Cassien ha sido la mejor opción para el almuerzo. Esperaba estar solo ahí, pero había dos familias. De todas formas es un sitio fantástico, el agua estaba limpia y a una temperatura ideal para nadar. Creo que ha sido la parada más larga que he hecho hasta ahora. Ha sido genial descansar y darme un baño allí.

Pero tenía que seguir, y todavía me quedaban unas colinas de unos 800 metros. Las vistas eran bonitas, pero era difícil disfrutarlas. Hacía mucho calor, y los kilómetros crecían en cada señal. Al final he hecho unos 30 km más de lo que pensaba.

He cruzado el parque natural de Verdon, siguiendo un camino de bicis, casi todo el rato. Había muchos árboles y bosques, por lo que poner la tienda ahí no hubiera sido ningún problema, pero ya había hablado con mi próximo anfitrión, y quería llegar a su pueblito. Los pueblos en esta región son pequeños y siempre en la cima de una colina. Aunque preciosos, me he cansado de subir y bajar.

He conocido a un hombre, en esta zona, que también viajaba en bici. Era mucho mayor que yo pero hacía viajes mucho más largos. Este año solo iba de Provenza a Viena, volviendo por Paris, pero hace dos años fue desde Paris a Pekín.

He llegado a Ginasservis casi a las 9. Estaba agotado y ya pensaba que nunca iba a llegar. Allí he cenado con mis anfitriones y hemos hablado durante un largo rato, pero me estaba quedando dormido, por lo que he decidido irme a dormir.

Hoy ha sido uno de los días más duros. Cruzando los Tatra fue duro, pero lo esperaba, más o menos, pero hoy ha sido más largo y más duro de lo que había planificado. Mañana, por lo menos, tengo que bajar lo que he subido hoy, por lo que va a ser bastante mejor, espero.

No comments:

Post a Comment