Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

21th of June – Downhill till Avignon and up again through the vineyards.

157,18 km Ginasservis – Saint Quentin la Poterie

What a great day, basically downhill! What I climbed yesterday I went down today. I got today to my cousin’s house, so from the morning I was in the mood to arrive, but to fight this I decided not to look at the watch for over 100km. It was quite relaxed.

In the morning I had a breakfast with my hosts, but quite quickly, as they had to go to work. When they left they showed me how to close everything, so I could pack more peacefully. But still, a few minutes later I left too, around 8, to try to avoid the warmest hours.

I had to take a detour, because there was a chance that one road was going to be closed due to constructions, but as I knew it, it was ok. I had some ups and downs at the beginning. But soon it started going down for almost 80km. It was fun, the average speed went up, and I didn´t look at the time for over 4 hours.

On the way I saw a kiosk that was selling fruits, and fresh juices, so I decided to stop. In this place there was a woman selling melons, peaches and juices. She only had juices in glass bottles, so I bought one, but I drunk it there with her. It was really refreshing and thick, it was filling like eating a kilo of fruit.

When I was drinking it I was talking with the woman. She only spoke French, but as it´s not very different from Spanish, and I learnt it one year, several years ago, we could communicate a bit. I must have looked hungry, because she started giving me peaches. The ones that had some ugly part, she cut it off and then gave it to me. I had to tell her that I could not eat more, because she kept offering.

I kept going towards Avignon, but I was completely full. It was hard to keep going. And soon after I had to take a national road, so it was very busy and the cars were going much faster. Luckily in a few kilometers I was already in the center. I just crossed the city, I went around the city walls, which were nice, and that´s it. I took the wrong bridge out, but it was ok, because then I took a small road instead of the national one.

From there I thought it was only 35 km but at the end it was almost 50. It was a beautiful ride, through small country roads, next to fruit trees and vineyards, but it was all the time small hills. It was not that hard but it was just the middle of the day and there was no shadow and it was hot, very hot. But I managed to get to Saint Quentin la Poterie, crossing other small beautiful villages.

My cousin was waiting for me with some Galician and Spanish typical food. It was delicious. I will try to put the recipe of the “Galician empanada”, as soon as possible. And after a while talking we decided to go to take a bath to the Pont du Gard. It´s an amazing place. We swam in a river in a beautiful area, next to a Roman Aqueduct. It´s an impressive place.

Afterwards we went to Uzes, the biggest village around here, which is medieval. It was really lively as it was the day of music in France. People were playing and dancing in the streets. They told me that usually in France, after 5 pm, there is no one in the streets, but today was an exception. Here we went for an ice-cream, and I had one of honey and caramel with salty butter. Very interesting and tasty flavors for ice cream.

From there we went home and we still had some dinner and talked for a long time. But when we realized how late it was we went to sleep.

Today was a bit different. It was hard to cycle during midday; when usually I rest, but it was worth to get to a great lunch and after go to an amazing place for a bath. Tomorrow I will also stay here, I need to rest, and I want to relax in the beautiful Provencal fields.

P1030722

The kiosk with the woman selling fruits.
El puesto con la señora que vendía fruta.

P1030723

When I arrived to my cousins village.
Cuando he llegado al pueblo de mi prima.

P1030729

Where we swam, Pont du Gard. My cousin and me.
Donde hemos nadado, Pont du Gard. Mi prima y yo.

P1030736

Me in France.
Yo en Francia.


21 de junio – Cuesta abajo hasta Aviñón y otra vez cuesta arriba hasta los viñedos.

157,18 km Ginasservis – Saint Quentin la Poterie

Hoy ha sido un día estupendo, ¡casi todo cuesta abajo! Lo que subí ayer, lo he bajado hoy. He llegado a casa de mi prima, así que desde la mañana ya tenía ganas de llegar, y para combatir esto, no he mirado al reloj durante más de 100km. Ha sido muy relajante.

Por la mañana he desayunado con mis anfitriones, pero se han tenido que ir pronto a trabajar. Cuando se han ido me han enseñado como cerrar la casa, para que pudiera organizar todo más tranquilamente. De todas formas unos minutos después ya me he marchado, sobre las 8, para poder evitar las horas de calor.

He tenido que tomar un desvió, ya que había la posibilidad de que la carretera estuviera cerrada por obras, pero como lo sabía, estaba en mis planes. He tenido unas cuestas al principio, pero luego han sido casi 80 km de bajada. Ha sido divertido,  la velocidad media me ha subido bastante, y no he mirado el reloj en unas 4 horas.

En el camino he visto un puesto que vendía fruta y zumos naturales, por lo que he decidido parar. En este sitio había una mujer vendiendo melones, melocotones y zumo. Solo tenía zumos en botellas de vidrio, pero me he comprado uno y lo he bebido ahí mismo. Ha sido muy refrescante, y me ha llenado tanto como un kilo de fruta.

Mientras bebía me he puesto a hablar con la vendedora. Ella solo hablaba francés, pero como no es muy diferente del castellano, y he dado un año de este idioma, hace muchos años, nos podíamos comunicar. Creo que tenía pinta de tener hambre, porque me ha empezado a dar melocotones. Los que tenían una parte fea, la ha cortado y me los ha dado. He tenido que decirle que ya no podía comer más, porque seguía ofreciendo más y más.

He seguido hacia Aviñón, pero estaba completamente lleno de fruta. Era difícil seguir pedaleando. Y poco después he tenido que coger la carretera nacional, la cual estaba llena de coches que iban muy rápido. Por suerte en unos pocos kilómetros ya estaba en el centro, lo he cruzado, alrededor de las murallas. Parece una ciudad bonita, pero no quería parar. He cogido el puente equivocado, pero no me ha importado, porque así he seguido por una carretera regional, en vez de la nacional.

Desde ahí pensaba que ya solo me quedaban 35 km pero han acabado siendo casi 50. Ha sido una parte muy bonita, al lado de campos de viñas, pero había muchas colinas. No era muy difícil, pero como era medio día, no había ni una sombra y hacía muchísimo calor. Pero he conseguido llegar a Saint Quentin la Poterie, cruzando un montón de bonitos pueblos.

Mi prima me estaba esperando con empanada gallega. Estaba deliciosa (pondré la receta lo antes posible). Después de un rato hablando hemos decidido darnos un baño en el Pont du Gard. Es un sitio increíble. Hemos nadado en un rio en un sitio muy bonito, al lado de un acueducto romano. Es muy impresionante.

Más tarde hemos ido a Uzes, el pueblo más grande de la zona, y es medieval. Estaba lleno de vida, ya que era el día de la música en Francia. Había bandas tocando y bailando en las calles. Me habían contado que en Francia después de las 5 de la tarde no había nadie en la calle, pero hoy era una excepción. Aquí hemos tomado helado, y he tomado uno de miel y caramelo con mantequilla salada. Los helados eran de sabores  interesantes y estaban muy buenos.

De ahí hemos ido a casa y todavía hemos cenado y hablado durante un buen rato. Pero cuando nos hemos dado cuenta de lo tarde que era nos hemos ido a dormir.

Hoy ha sido un día diferente. Ha sido difícil pedalear durante el mediodía, cuando suelo descansar, pero ha merecido la pena llegar para comer a casa de mi prima y luego darme un baño en un rio impresionante. Mañana también voy a estar aquí, necesito descansar, y me apetece quedarme en los pueblitos provenzales.

No comments:

Post a Comment