Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 23, 2011

23th of June – Horrible St. John evening day.

182,74 Sint Quentin la Poterie

Today might have been one of the worst days of the trip, but it´s really hard to say, as the beginning and the end were actually fun. The problem was the riding: there was wind, French cities are hard to cross, and I even had an accident.

As I said the morning was fine, actually, great. My cousin went to work early, and her boyfriend took her there, so I said goodbye at this moment, as I was not going to see them later. I followed them with the bike so they could show me a nice bakery. There I bought a few croissants and bread for lunch.

It was great to have a coffee with croissant in their garden, it´s a pity that they were not there, but I still enjoyed it a lot. It´s the most typical breakfast, according to the stereotypes. It was very cloudy, and by the time I finished packing it was raining.

I decided to start anyway, as it didn´t look like it was going to stop. I went, and after a while I put on the rain pants, but by the time I was done, the clouds went away. It was fine, and the temperature was good, thanks to the sea that it´s not far.

I wanted to ride till Montpellier, and cross it, before having lunch. I was worried of getting lost in these places, cities and towns are chaos in France, so I wanted to be done with this huge city. And it actually was not as bad as I thought, crossing the city center. It looks nice!

And when I was already in the last boulevard … a car hit me! He was going backwards and run over me. Luckily we were both going slowly but I fell and I really hurt myself with the handlebar. The guy was quite worried, and wanted to invite me for lunch or for something to drink, but I just wanted to keep going. I wrote down his driving plate, just in case, fixed the breaks and the fender, which they were moved, and I continued.

From there I had small country roads for a while, and it was nice. But it was hard to find a place to eat. All the fields and forests had a fence, so I had to do many more kilometers than expected to be able to get to eat in the shadow. But I found one place, and when I left I realized it was also private, but the fence had fallen.

Later I had national road to Beziers. I thought it was going to be full of cars, but as it went next to the highway, it was basically empty. But Beziers was a chaos again, in every corner there was a sign saying “all directions”, so it was hard to get out the way I wanted. But I had only 25 km left, so I didn´t really care, even though I was already in the mood of arriving. The last bar in the village didn´t give me water, but a bit later I found a fountain.

The remaining kilometers went uneventful and I found my host´s house without problems, as Narbonne it´s a much easier city. There I had a shower and then we left to the city center. We went for a walk, and he showed me many things and explained a lot. He is not originally from here, but he learnt fast.

Later we went to the main square, here they were having the summer´s solstice celebrations. I had completely forgotten. (Before I said I wanted to be home at this date, but obviously I still have a couple days). Here they also do a fire, but much smaller than in Spain, and the festival is also smaller. But we had something to eat, and a crepe for dessert, of course. There was some kind of Occitan fare, and they sold many books. They didn´t have the little Prince in this language, but I know it exists.

After a while, both of us got tired so slowly returned home, and went to bed after chatting a bit. He lived in Asia many years, so he has lots of stories to tell, like when he run a restaurant in Nepal.

So today the beginning and the end of the day were great, it was just the tour the annoying part. I´m still a bit hurt from the fall when the car hit me, but I´ll be fine, I don´t think I need to get to a doctor. Tomorrow I will cross Carcassonne, and maybe I will go through the canal du Midi, that would indeed be great.

P1030784

The French roads, with the trees on the side.
Las carreteras francesas con los árboles a los lados.

P1030786

The unfinished cathedral of Narbonne.
La catedral sin terminar de Narbona.

P1030793

The festival.
Las fiestas de San Juan.


23 de junio – víspera de San Juan.

182,74 Sint Quentin la Poterie

Hoy puede que haya sido uno de los peores días de todo el viaje, pero es difícil decirlo ya que el principio y el final han sido divertidos. El problema ha sido el camino: había bastante viento, las ciudades francesas son difíciles de cruzar, y he tenido un accidente.

Como ya he dicho la mañana ha ido bien, en realidad, genial. Mi prima se ha tenido que ir pronto a trabajar, y su novio le ha llevado, por lo que me he despedido, ya que no les iba a ver luego. Pero les he seguido en bici hasta una buena panadería, donde he comprado unos cruasanes y pan para comer.

Ha estado genial tomar unos cruasanes y café en el jardín, es una pena que ellos no estuvieran ahí, pero aun así lo he disfrutado. Es el desayuno más típico, por lo menos de acuerdo con los estereotipos. Estaba bastante nublado, y para cuando he terminado de organizar todo, estaba lloviendo.

He decidido empezar de todas formas, ya que parecía que no iba a parar. He salido, y tras un rato me he puesto los pantalones impermeables, pero para cuando lo he conseguido, las nubes ya se habían ido. Se estaba bien, y la temperatura era buena, gracias al mar, que no está lejos.

Quería llegar a Montpellier, para cruzarla cuanto antes, antes de comer. No me apetecía perderme en estas ciudades, que son un caos en Francia, por lo que quería salir de esta enorme ciudad. Y no ha sido tan difícil como pensaba, cruzando el centro de la ciudad. Y parece bonita.

Y cuando ya estaba en la última avenida… ¡un coche me ha dado! Él iba marcha atrás y me ha atropellado. Por suerte íbamos despacio, pero me he caído y me he hecho daño con el manillar. El conductor estaba preocupado, y me quería invitar a comer, o a beber algo, pero quería que seguir. He apuntado su matrícula, solo por sea caso, he arreglado los frenos y el guardabarros, que se habían doblado un poco, y he continuado.

Desde ahí he seguido carreteras pequeñas, y ha sido agradable. Pero ha sido difícil encontrar un sitio para comer. Todos los campos y bosques estaban vallados, por lo que he tenido que hacer más km de lo que me apetecía. Pero por fin he encontrado un sitio, y cuando he salido me he dado cuenta de que era privado.

Más tarde he cogido la carretera nacional hasta Beziers. Pensaba que iba a estar lleno de coches, pero como iba al lado de una autopista, estaba casi vacía. Pero Beziers ha sido un caos, otra vez, en cada esquina había una señal “todas direcciones”, por lo que ha sido difícil salir. Pero ya solo me quedaban 25 km, por lo que no me ha importado, aunque ya tenía ganas de llegar. En el último bar del pueblo no me han dado agua, pero poco después he encontrado una fuente.

El resto del camino ha ido sin más problemas, y he encontrado la casa de mi anfitrión sin perderme, ya que Narbona es una ciudad mucho más fácil. Me he duchado y luego hemos dado una vuelta por el centro. Mientras andábamos me ha enseñado un par de sitios, y me ha explicado cosas. Él no es de aquí, pero ha aprendido rápido.

Luego hemos ido a la plaza del Mercado, donde estaban celebrando San Juan. Ya me había olvidado. (Hace unas semanas había comentado que me apetecía estar en casa por estas fechas, pero obviamente todavía me quedan un par de días). Aquí también celebran el día con una fogata, pero mucho más pequeña, ya que la fiesta no es tan grande. Hemos cogido algo de comer, y un crepe de postre, claro. Había una especie de feria occitana, y vendían muchos libros, pero no el Principito (aunque sé que existe en este idioma).

Tras un rato, ya que estábamos cansados, hemos vuelto a casa y nos hemos ido a dormir después de hablar un poco. Él ha vivido en Asia muchos años, por lo que tiene muchas historias, como cuando tenía un restaurante en Nepal.

Así el principio y el final del día han estado muy bien, solo ha sido el camino lo peor. Todavía me duele de cuando el coche me atropellado, pero voy a estar bien, no creo que necesite ir al médico. Mañana voy a cruzar Carcasona, y después puede que vaya por el canal du Midi, lo que sería genial.

No comments:

Post a Comment