Total Pageviews

Friday, June 24, 2011

24th of June – Got lost but still enjoyed “Le Canal du Midi”

202,94km Narbonne – Muret

Today I should have done many kilometers less but I got lost, well, actually I took the opposite direction for lots of kilometers, going back to Narbonne for a while. On top of that it was very windy, and I had to wait almost 30 min, in a traffic jam, because there was a gas leak. But without taking these things into account, it was a beautiful day.

When I woke up I had breakfast with Fred, and then we went to his mother´s house, to be able to use the internet. I just wanted to get the phone number of the next host, and the route for today, so pretty fast I was done. On the way back, he took me to see the cloister of the cathedral, it was great to be able to see some things before leaving.

Later than expected, as always, I left Narbonne. I had decided to take the main road to Carcassonne, and then the channel almost 80 km. Once on the road, I didn´t really like it. There were way too many cars, and a horrible wind. I was going 14km/h downhill! So when I saw in the map that I could do part of the way next to the channel, I went there, doing a couple extra km. Afterwards, I left it and took the national road and got to the center of Carcassonne faster.

In this nice town I went to the tourist information office and they gave me a map of the bike road next to the channel. But when I got there, after getting lost in the city, I took the wrong direction for almost 15 km, so I had to turn around and go back from where I went. I was feeling really stupid and angry, and it was not fair, because the way was beautiful.

After I had lunch I started enjoying. It was hot, but there was a bit of refreshing wind. I had already contacted my host, and it was ok to arrive much later. It was a great place. There were some parts better than others, and some where a MTB would have been better, but it was ok. Most of the way is great, and the last part it´s even paved. It was nice, because I could go faster, as I was running late to meet my host, but it was not as relaxing and enjoyable.

When I left the channel to go in small roads more to the west, the hills started. The first few were really hard. Especially the first one, I thought I was not going to be able to do it. The landscape was magnificent, hills and fields. But I was trying to hurry because I was late for my meeting.

Luckily, my host is also a cyclist, so he came to pick me up for the last 20 km. it was nice to have someone to talk to while riding. He even showed me a couple places on the way, like a church, which looks more like a castle. The nature here it´s great, and the sunset was very beautiful.

When we got to his house I had a shower and we had dinner. It´s funny how before I wanted to take warm showers, and now it´s cold what I want. We had a dinner with foie, for starters. Slowly I’m trying every French typical food. After we chat and we saw the way for tomorrow, for which I have 2 choices.

Today I saw a new animal: an otter. And also there were hundreds of people cycling with bags through the canal.

So I’m quite close from home now, in just three days I´ll be there. I really want to get there and rest for a couple days. But first I have to choose how I want to get to Pau, through the hills, up and down, but short, or with a mild uphill over 100 km, but higher and longer. I´m not sure which one I will choose.

P1030800

Me at the cloister in Narbonne.
Cuando he visitado el claustro de Narbona

P1030802

My bike next to the Canal du Midi.
Mi bici al lado del canal du Midi.

P1030805

The sunflower fields.
Los campos de girasoles.

P1030807

The castle looking church.
Laiglesia con pinta de castillo.

 
24 de junio – Incluso perdido, disfrutando  “Le Canal du Midi”.

202,94km Narbonne – Muret

Hoy tenía que haber hecho muchos kilómetros menos, pero me he perdido, bueno, en realidad he tomado la dirección equivocada durante muchos kilómetros, hacia Narbona durante un rato. Encima hacía mucho viento, y he tenido que esperar 30 minutos en una caravana, porque ha habido un escape de gas. Pero sin tener esto en cuenta, ha sido un día bonito.

Cuando me he despertado he desayunado con Fred, y luego hemos ido a casa de su madre, para poder conectarme a internet. Solo quería el número de teléfono del mi siguiente anfitrión, y la ruta para hoy, por lo que no he tardado mucho. De vuelta a casa todavía me ha llevado a ver el claustro de la catedral. Ha sido agradable poder ver algo antes de marcharme.

He salido más tarde de lo planeado, como siempre. Había decidido coger la carretera nacional a Carcasona, y luego hacer 80 km por el canal. Una vez en la carretera, no me ha gustado. Había demasiados coches y un viento horrible. ¡Iba a 14km/h cuesta abajo! Así que cuando he visto en el mapa, que un pueblo pasaba cerca del canal, he ido ahí, haciendo unos kms extra. Más tarde lo he dejado para coger la carretera nacional, otra vez, hasta el centro de Carcasona.

En esta bonita ciudad he ido a la oficina de información turística y me han dado un mapa del carril bici que va al lado del canal. Pero cuando he llegado, después de perderme por la ciudad, he cogido en dirección equivocada casi 15 km, y he tenido que volver por el mismo camino. Me sentía bastante estúpido y enfadado, y no era justo, porque era un camino muy agradable.

 Después de comer he empezado a disfrutar. Hacía calor, pero había una brisita muy refrescante. Ya había contactado con mi anfitrión, y no le importaba que llegara mucho más tarde. Y era un sitio increíble. Había unas partes del camino mejores que otras, y otras por donde una mountain bike me hubiera servido mejor, pero mi bici no iba mal. Casi todo el camino ha sido genial, y la última parte hasta está asfaltada. Ha estado bien, porque podía ir rápido, y se estaba acercando la hora a la que había quedado con mi anfitrión, pero no he disfrutado tanto.

Después de dejar el canal he cogido carreteras pequeñas hacia el oeste, y han empezado las colinas. Las primeras han sido muy dura, especialmente la primera. Pensaba que no iba a poder subirla. El paisaje era magnifico, campos y colinas. Pero tenía un poco de prisa porque ya llegaba tarde.

Por suerte mi anfitrión es también un cicloturista y me ha venido a buscar y me ha acompañado los últimos 20 km. Ha sido agradable hablar con alguien mientras pedaleaba. Y me ha enseñado un par de cosas de camino, como una iglesia que parece un castillo. La naturaleza era preciosa y el anochecer más aun.

Cuando hemos llegado a su casa me he duchado y hemos cenado. Es gracioso como antes soñaba con las duchas calientes, y ahora frías. En la cena he tomado foie, de entrante. Poco a poco estoy probando todas las cosas típicas francesas. Después hemos hablado y hemos visto el camino para mañana, para el que tengo dos opciones.

Hoy he visto un nuevo animal: una nutria. Además había cientos de ciclistas con alforjas por el canal.

Así que estoy bastante cerca de casa, ¡solo tres días! Tengo muchas ganas de llegar y descansar un par de días, pero primero tengo que decidir cómo llegar a Pau: atravesando las colinas, o por una cuesta suave durante 100 km, pero más larga y alta. No estoy seguro cual voy a elegir.

No comments:

Post a Comment