Total Pageviews

Friday, July 8, 2011

8th of July – Mission accomplished!

123,90 km Arcos de la Frontera – Tarifa

I did it! I finally got to Tarifa! It´s been a long trip, and sometimes it looked endless, but I made it! Today has been, probably, the fastest day. With a really impressive speed average, I got to my destination, and even further. And I had some adventures getting to the bus home.

As I planned yesterday, I woke up quite early, and I got ready to go to the farm where my host works, to get some breakfast there. I took the bike and I realized that the back wheel was very low. A flat tire? The first one of the trip the last day? Maybe, but I put air at a gas station, and it hold the whole day. Probably the hole is tiny.

I got to the farm, a bit later than we wanted, but she could still show me the place around, after breakfast. Right now they have over a hundred kids sleeping there, so she had a busy day. I took a little walk and some pictures and left quite fast. I was planning on getting to Tarifa, and taking the bus a couple hours later, to get to Bilbao tomorrow morning. So I was a bit on hurry.

Yesterday night I planned one route, but talking with some of Pilar´s colleagues, I changed my mind. And they told me that the map was wrong, and there was a road in there which didn´t exist. I trusted them, and now I´m quite sure they were right, because I didn´t see the other end.

The beginning was fine, next to lots of fields with cacti. It was a bit hilly, but I knew I would end at sea level, so it was ok. Half of the time it was on a national road, but there were very few cars, and there were lots bars where to ask for fresh water.

There were no problems or surprises on the way. Every 10 km, or so, I checked the wheel, but it was fine. I expected the end of the trip very windy, but it wasn´t that much. It was better like this, and I did almost 30 km per hour average, I´m still impressed with myself. It has been the fastest day.

When I turned to Tarifa, I was looking very carefully, because I wanted to take a picture of the sign, but I could not see it. It looks like in this town they only sign is huge, not the typical small white one. Still I got my picture taken. Now I had to go to the southernmost point, or at least, as south as possible, because the Tarifa point it´s military area.

The tourist information office was closed, but there were some people advertising something, and they had maps. They also told me were the southernmost was, but warning me I could not get in.

As the northernmost, the southernmost of Europe is also an island, very close to the shore. There is a little bridge, and in one side it´s the Atlantic, and in the other the Mediterranean sea. At the end there is an abandoned military base, but it´s still used to control illegal immigrants coming from northern Africa. There is a gate, saying that id forbidden to enter. But when was getting my picture taken, some people came out. They were some soldiers, and I asked them if it was possible to get in. They said I had to get a special permission, in the Guardia Civil (military police), but that probably I wouldn´t.

I had nothing to lose, and I still had 3 hours to get to the bus (or so I thought). In the Guardia Civil headquarters one woman told me it was impossible. But as she was not wearing the uniform, I went to the offices, to ask more officially.

The person working there said that it was going to be hard, but that he was going to try to help me. He made at least 5 phone calls, and at the he told me that I needed the permission from the captain, who was not there for the rest of the afternoon. But he said that he might be eating in the restaurant in front. He went there, and he found him! They were talking for a bit, and … I got the permission! Now I was allowed in the military zone!

I went back to the gate and I entered. The another Guardia Civil told me to be quick, just in case there was some problem with the immigrants. I got to the lighthouse, went around, put my hands in the place were both seas meet, and left in 15 minutes. From there Africa it was very close, I could see it clearly.

Then I decided to go to the bus station to get the tickets, to have some time afterwards to swim in the sea. But it turns out that the bus had some problem, and was not leaving today. So I had to take another bus, to Algeciras, and then take a 17 hours bus till Bilbao. The time was tight, just 15 minutes to spare, and as there were no problems, I did it.

So now I'll to be in the bus till tomorrow morning, it´s going to be quite boring, but it´s the best option to take the bike home. I wished I had a bit more time to take a bath in the sea, but I don´t care anymore. I did it!

P1030989

Lots of cactus next to the road.
Cactus al lado de la carretera.

P1030991

The typical Spanish bull, it's the first one I see.
El primer toro de Osborne que veo.

P1030993

Finally in Tarifa.
Llegada a Tarifa.

P1030995

The gate, where i thought i could not continue.
La entrada de isla Tarifa, donde pensaba que iba a terminar el viaje.

P1030998

The Atlantic and the Mediterranean.
El Átlantico y el Mediterráneo.

P1030999

The lighthouse in Tarifa Island.
El faro de isla Tarifa.

P1040003

The southernmost that can be reached with a bike.
Lo más al sur que se puede llegar con la bici.



8 de julio – ¡Misión cumplida!

123,90 km Arcos de la Frontera – Tarifa

¡Lo he conseguido! ¡He llegado a Tarifa! Ha sido un largo viaje, y a veces parecía que no iba a acabar, pero ¡lo he hecho! Hoy ha sido uno de los días en que he ido más rápido. Con una velocidad media muy alta, he llegado hasta mi destino, e incluso un poco más al sur. Y para terminar he tenido alguna sorpesa para coger el autobus de vuelta a casa.

Como había planeado, me he levantado pronto, y me he preparado para ir a la granja escuela, donde trabaja mi anfitriona, para desayunar allí. Cuando he cogido la bici me he fijado en que la rueda de atras estaba bastante baja. ¿un pinchazo? ¿el primero en el último día? Puede ser, pero la he hinchado en una gasolinera y me ha aguantado todo el día. Seguramente el agujero es muy pequeño.

He llegado a la granja, un poco más tarde de lo que me hubiera gustado, pero aun así me ha podido enseñar las instalaciones, después de desayunar. Ahora tienen unos cien niños durmiendo allí, por lo que iba a tener un día muy ocupado. He sacado un par de fotos mientras me daba una vuelta y me he ido. Quería llegar a Tarifa y un par de horas después coger el autobús a Bilbao, para llegar por la mañana, así que tenía un poco de prisa.

Ayer por la noche, como todos los días, había planificado la ruta, pero hablando con los colegas de Pilar, la he cambiado. Me han dicho que el mapa estaba mal, y que una de las carreteras que quería coger no existe. Me he fiado de ellos, y ahora creo que tienen razón, por que no visto el final por el otro lado.

El principio del camino ha estado bien, con cactus al lado de la carretera. Había bastantes colinas, pero sabía que iba terminar a nivel del mar, así que no me importaba. La mitad del recorrido ha sido por una carretera nacional, pero había pocos coches, y muchos bares, donde conseguia agua fria.

No he tenido ningún problema. Cada 10 km, más o menos, paraba a comprobar que la rueda seguía hinchada. Pensaba que en el final del viaje iba a tner mucho viento, pero no ha sido tanto. Ha sido mejor así, y he hecho una media de 30 km por hora. Todavía estoy impresionado conmigo mismo. Ha sido el día más rápido.

Cuando he cogido la salida a Tarifa, estaba buscando la señal de inicio del pueblo para sacarme la foto, pero no hay. En vez de los habituales carteles blancos pequeños, hay uno enorme. Me he sacado una foto allí. Después me he dirigido al punto más al sur, o lo más al sur posible, ya que punta Tarifa es zona militar.

La oficina de turismo estaba cerrada, pero había unas personas haciendo publicidad de algo, y tenían mapas. Me han dicho donde estaba el punto más al sur, y me han avisado de que no se podía entrar.

Al igual que el cabo norte, punta tarifa está en una isla, y son los extremos, norte y sur, accesibles en bici. Hay un pequeño puente, que lleva a esta última y por un lado está el Atlántico y por el otro el Mediterráneo. En la isla hay una base militar abandonada, pero todavía es zona restringida, para poder controlar el tráfico de inmigrantes ilegales, que llegan del norte de África. Hay una puerta, con una señal que indica que no se puede pasar. Cuando me estaba sacando una foto con la puerta justo han salido unos militares y les he preguntado a ver si podía pasar. Y ellos me han dicho que tenía que conseguir un permiso especial de la Guardia Civil, pero que seguramente no lo iba a conseguir.

No tenía nada que perder, y todavía me quedaban 3 horas para coger el autobús (o eso pensaba yo). En el cuartelillo una mujer me ha dicho que era imposible. Pero como no llevaba el uniforme, he ido a la oficina, para que fuera más oficial.

El guardia civil allí me ha contado que iba a ser difícil, pero que iba a ayudarme. Ha hecho unas 5 llamadas, y al final me ha dicho que necesitaba el permiso del capitán, y este ya se había ido. Pero pensaba que podía estar en el restaurante de enfrente. Ha ido allí, y lo ha encontrado. Tras un rato de discusión ha vuelto y ... ¡me han dado el permiso! Ya podía entrar en la zona militar!

He vuelto a la puerta de la isla, y la he cruzado. Allí otro guardia civil me ha dicho que no tardara mucho, por sea caso había problemas con inmigrantes. He ido al faro y lo he rodeado, he puesto las manos en los dos mares a la vez, y en unos 15 minutos me he ido. Desde ahí se veia África perfectamente.

Luego he decidido ir a la estación de autobuses para comprar el billete, y poder ir más tranquilamente a la playa después. Pero resulta que el autobús estaba estropeado, y no salía hoy. Así que he tenido que coger otro autobús a Algeciras, y luego otro a Bilbao (un viaje de 17 horas). Tenía el tiempo justo, solo 15 minutos de sobra, pero como ha habido ninguna sorpresa, he tenido tiempo.

Así que ahora voy a estar en el autobús hasta mañana por la mañana, va a ser aburrido, pero es la mejor opción para poder llevar la bici a casa. Me hubiera gustado tener más tiempo y darme un bañito, pero ya no me importa. ¡Lo he conseguido!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Hodei! I have thoroughly enjoyed your trip, a bit late reading the last entry though. I didn't miss any posts as you tweeted your links all the way from north to south. I love your approach to life and the world around you, and it was wonderful to see and hear all about places so different from Australia. If ever you come this way, there is a couch waiting! All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ENHORABUENA HODEIIIII!!!! Que guapo tio!genial que te hayan dejado pasar!si que se ve africa si!!enhorabuena campeon!!

    ReplyDelete